Coggins & Export

Traveling with your horse?

Coggins Test

The necessary paperwork for a Coggins Test may take a couple of weeks to process. Be sure to allow plenty of time for Government approval.

Whether you need a Coggins test for heading south to the USA, for a local show, or you just want to be sure your horse is Equine Infectious Anemia (EIA) negative, we have you covered!

Dr. Guillemaud is accredited with the Canadian Food Inspection Agency to perform Coggins testing and health paper examinations for Export to the USA.

To allow time for shipping time of samples and paperwork, please do your best to allow two weeks from the time of your appointment until the time you require the documentation. Health papers are valid for 30-days from the date of examination to crossing the border. Coggins tests are valid for 6 months from the date of sampling.

Learn more from the American Association of Equine Practitioners:

Importing companion animals

Under the National Animal Health Program, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) establishes import requirements for all animals and animal products entering Canada-including domestic pets and horses.

These requirements apply to:

  • Animals entering Canada permanently
  • Animals in transit through Canada on their way to a final destination
  • Animals entering Canada for a temporary visit.

The Agency can refuse entry to any animal presented for importation. Learn more on the CFIA website.

Learn more about CFIA guidelines for importing horses.